Island Week: Promoting Action for Island Resilience
Date: April 2019
Location: Washington, D.C., USA
Strategic Priority: Building resilient and sustainable island communities through innovative partnerships
“The voyage to a resilient and sustainable future is not one that is taken alone, but by a movement of
cities, states, islands and countries working together to shape the future we want.”
-- H.E. Tommy E. Remengesau Jr., President of Palau and Leader of the Global Island Partnership
Island Week is one of the premier global events convening islands and island supporters to promote action to build resilient and sustainable island communities. The first edition of Island Week will be held in Washington D.C. and will enable resilience champions across political jurisdictions to connect and collaborate with partners to accelerate implementation of commitments. Hosted by the Global Island Partnership with key partners from public and private sector, Island Week will result in a new invigorated action plan focused on leadership and commitment supported by local implementation to build resilient and sustainable island communities through the Global Island Partnership 2030 Strategy. Island Week will take part in three segments:
- Island Symposium: Bright Spots in Island Resilience, April 2019, Venue: TBC, Participation: open to public. This symposium provides an opportunity to learn from and engage with islands and island supporters who are champions of resilience solutions. It is an opportunity to be inspired by bright spots and what is working around the world emerging from islands. This meeting is relevant to anyone interested in island solutions and that can be scaled and adapted by cities, states and countries.
- Island Reception: Celebrating Partnerships in Island Resilience, April 2019, Participation: By Invitation to GLISPA Members. This high level reception provides an opportunity to be inspired by islands who are at the forefront of resilience movement and connected by strong partnerships to achieve their goals. This intimate event will allow guests to network and generate new ideas and collaborations to support islands.
- GLISPA Council Meeting: Developing the Island Resilience Action Plan, April 2019, Venue: The Nature Conservancy World Wide Office, Participation: By Invitation to GLISPA Members. This meeting will be the first meeting of the GLISPA Council. It convenes representatives of the 30+ members of GLISPA to review progress on implementation of the 2030 GLISPA Strategy and determine an action plan to galvanize momentum to achieve priority issues such as island leadership on climate, oceans and urban growth. The GLISPA Board will also convene during Island Week.
About the Global Island Partnership
You can help build island resilience in two (2) ways:
(1) Become a Sponsor of Island Week: the Leaders of the Partnership call for partners from the private and public sector to help them build island resilience through becoming a Island Week Sponsor. Event sponsors will benefit from:
- Gold -- US$25,000 and more -- will be recognized as a co-host of Island Week and invited to guide goal and priority setting through GLISPA Membership Invitation in 2018-2019. Gold partners will also receive premium recognition during Island Week. This will include: invitation for a high level representative of the Gold Partner to give a keynote address during key events including the Island Symposium and Gala as well as being recognized by a GLISPA Leader during a high level event. Gold partner logos will also be featured on all relevant promotional materials.
- Silver -- US$5,000 to $24,999 -- will be recognized as a Friend of GLISPA and will have their logo on all relevant materials. If not already a GLISPA Member, they will be invited as an observer to the GLISPA Council Meeting and will be provided an opportunity to share their priorities in island resilience during the meeting.
- Bronze -- Up to US$5,000 -- will be recognized as a Friend of GLISPA and will have their logo on all relevant materials.
All sponsors will be selected based on alignment of goals with the mission of the partnership and agreed by the GLISPA Board.